My name is Nick, I am a Wisconsin dad who loves all things fitness, diving, and food! Persistent Resilience is a log of the fun and craziness that is my life. I am passionate about running, I love to see how far I can push myself, and my favorite runs are off-road. Currently I am trying to add to my ultra-marathon experience. If you have any questions about how/why I run or eat the way that I do please do not hesitate to contact me by leaving a comment, via facebook, or by email at nmwied@hotmail.com. Thanks for Visiting







21 April 2012

2011 Lessons Learned & Looking Forward

Lessons Learned

With 2011 coming to a close it is time to look back on the year embracing all the accomplishments, learning from the mistakes, and planning for 2012.  2011 was a year of pushing limits both physical and mental.  Early in the year I began contemplating running a 50 mile trail ultra marathon.  This was a huge leap forward as the longest race I had run up to this point was 5 miles on the road.  As I was considering which race to run, I also decided it may take some additional motivation to make it to the finish line, and more importantly the start line of the race I chose.  I am lucky to have daily inspiration in the form of my daughter who courageously manages her juvenile rheumatoid arthritis every day, playing and enjoying being a “normal” kid.  The year of ultra firsts started when I agreed to pace my friend David through his first 100 mile trail run, the Kettle Moraine 100 mile Endurance Run.  I ran with him for 31 miles, through the evening and into the day, never got lost, and managed to have a great time.  From there I finished a trail half marathon in July.  Then the fun really began, aside from attempting to learn how to train for an ultra and battling the regular soreness of training, I was subjected to my first real run inhibiting injury, ITBS (Iliotibial Band Syndrome).  Some PT and a few massages later I was able to run again, but this injury would flare up every few weeks really limiting the amount of consistent training I was able to accomplish.  I also set up a charity, the Madison Wied Pediatric Research Fund,  to raise money for continued rheumatoid research at Children’s Hospital in Milwaukee WI.  I ran my first ultra, the Glacial Trail 50 Mile, in October, it was hot and a lot of fun. I finished the race, slightly slower than anticipated, had fun, and did not get hurt.  Most importantly the fund was able to raise over $6000 for advanced research.  Looking back it was a busy year where I was able to learn a lot a lot about my self, my limits, my dreams, and my abilities.

Looking Forward

Moving into 2012 I plan on taking a more simple approach to both training for and running races.  I am lucky in that I was able to complete the first 50 miler I ever attempted, therefore removing that monkey from my back.  As for training I am taking a more simple approach of running with my body and not against it, I have been lucky enough to connect with several individuals who have graciously shared some free coaching advice.  I also find myself really longing to run with other people regardless of their pace, thus I have also become an active member of a local trail running club.  I am going to make a concerted effort to increase my visibility in the endurance scene, thereby allowing for greater exposure of the Madison Wied Pediatric Research Fund.  I have been lucky enough to become a sponsored member of a local running store’s race team (Performance Running Outfitters).  I am going to continue to push myself to become a better athlete and charity advocate.  I am able to look back at the mistakes I made, fun I had, and fabulous people I met during 2011, and really learn from the experience.  I am looking forward to 2012 as my family helps me consider which races I will compete in, and for the continued growth of the Charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment