My name is Nick, I am a Wisconsin dad who loves all things fitness, diving, and food! Persistent Resilience is a log of the fun and craziness that is my life. I am passionate about running, I love to see how far I can push myself, and my favorite runs are off-road. Currently I am trying to add to my ultra-marathon experience. If you have any questions about how/why I run or eat the way that I do please do not hesitate to contact me by leaving a comment, via facebook, or by email at nmwied@hotmail.com. Thanks for Visiting







05 March 2013

2013 February Training and Race Nutrition Planning

February Training and Race Nutrition Planning



This was a packed strength building month; I managed to up both my mileage and intensity.  I also managed to shovel a ton of snow, great cross training, right.  I swapped out my Monday tempo runs for hill repeats but stuck to the rest of my previous schedule of hill, easy, tempo, easy, race pace, long, off.  I was able to climb almost 7000ft over 10 miles (15%ish) when you add up the repeats that I completed, not bad for flat land WI. 

This month I also wanted to race a ½ marathon, there were not any that fit my schedule, so I decided to run one on my own.  There were two reasons I wanted to race; first was to benchmark my training, and second I wanted to be able to test out my race nutrition strategy. 

Of all of the race efforts I have laid down, from 100m to 50 miles, this was the most mentally taxing.  Racing yourself and having to maintain pace is mentally exhausting, several times I had to fight off demons begging me to just sit down in a snow bank and rest.  Another reason this effort was tough was that I had to dig my house out a heavy snowfall as a warm up.  Never before has my upper back cramped during a race, so going forward I will not be utilizing snow shoveling as a pre-race warm up.  The race effort ended up being good I finished in 1:21:32, with the final 10k being run at 6:00 pace.

The reason that I wanted to focus on my race nutrition was that I have been running all of my long runs on minimal calories and my tempo and hill runs on no calories.  As I have written before I follow a higher fat, moderate protein, low carb diet.  In an effort to keep my body burning fat during exercise, I have begun all of my workouts in a fasted state.  This means the last time I ate food was 10+ hours before the workout, I will have green tea with coconut oil before some of the more intense sessions with a VESPA before the longer sessions.  I wanted to see; first how my stomach would tolerate my planned nutrition strategy at sub race pace, and second what my energy would be throughout the run.  I am happy to report that my plan seems to be a success, I not only tolerated the drinks and gel combo, but my energy both mental and physical was stable throughout the race.  What follows is a description of how I ate the day before my race, morning of the race, during the effort, and after.  Keep in mind this is not all I ever eat and the post-race dinner meal happened to be a sushi date.

Day Before

AM: 12oz warm water with apple cider vinegar, green tea with coconut oil, 1 multi vitamin, 1 fish oil, 1 vit D3

Easy 5mi run with 5 pickups at 5:00 pace.

Full fat Greek yogurt with cinnamon, flax, 1/4C blueberries, 1/4C pineapple, ½ banana
1 multi vitamin

Snack ¼ C raw almonds

PM:  Large kale salad with avacado, beets, broccoli, asparagus, chicken, ½ sweet potato, walnuts, and shredded mozzarella cheese

Foam rolling, active isolated stretching, & 1 magnesium

Race Day

Pre-Race:  12oz warm water with apple cider vinegar, green tea with coconut oil, 1 multi vitamin, 1 fish oil, 1 vit D3
1 Packet of Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter (3 hours pre-race)
1 VESPA JR (45 min prior to race)

Race: 1 20oz bottle with chocolate coconut water & 3 gels.

Post-race: Coconut water, ½ grapefruit, ½ sweet potato, and full fat Greek yogurt with cinnamon, flax, 1/4C blueberries, 1/4C pineapple, ½ banana
1 multi vitamin

Snack: ¼ C raw almonds

PM:  12 piece sashimi, seaweed salad, miso soup, edema me, 1 glass red wine, 1/2C almonds & walnuts mix, Kale Chips

Foam rolling, active isolated stretching, & 1 magnesium

Going forward I am going to stick with the chocolate nut butter for breakfast pre-race, I believe it provides me with adequate calories, fat, and carbohydrates, without spiking my blood sugar too much pre-race.  It is also extremely convenient and travels well!  In a pinch I could use Nutella, although the sugar content is higher.  I will increase the amount I consume based on the distance of the race.  Another pre-race food I have used is ½ sweet potatoes with raw almond butter on top.   

TOTALS

RUN               197.1 Miles  27:22:42
BIKE              6.5     Miles
SWIM            5.6     Miles

Elevation Gain (Hill Repeats)
6600ft 10mi (15%)

Race
Me VS Myself ½ Marathon
1:21:32 (6:14) pace last 10k at 6:00

No comments:

Post a Comment