My name is Nick, I am a Wisconsin dad who loves all things fitness, diving, and food! Persistent Resilience is a log of the fun and craziness that is my life. I am passionate about running, I love to see how far I can push myself, and my favorite runs are off-road. Currently I am trying to add to my ultra-marathon experience. If you have any questions about how/why I run or eat the way that I do please do not hesitate to contact me by leaving a comment, via facebook, or by email at nmwied@hotmail.com. Thanks for Visiting







20 September 2012

AUGUST 2012 Training Recap

AUGUST Training Recap

This month I focused on building speed into my training as well as consistently running back to back long runs, for the upcoming North Face 50K in Sep.  I began the month by shifting my first two runs of the week to be a sub race pace tempo run and an interval workout.  I was running my tempo runs near a 7:00 pace, and the 800 intervals were being run near a 2:40 pace.  These runs were completed Monday and Wednesday.  On Tuesday I was swimming an interval set in the AM and biking hills in the pm.  On Thursday I would do a tempo swim for 1.5 miles.  Then on Friday I was doing a 3 hour long run a little above 50K pace, and then on Saturday AM I would run for 1-2 hours easy.  This training schedule seemed to allow me to get in quality work and some distance as well. 

At the end of the month one of the members of my trail running group, Lapham Peak Trail Runners, celebrated his 50th birthday by running a 50K fat ass, at Lapham Peak State park.  He consistently podiums in ultras so, as a test, I decided to run with him.  I was planning on running 3 of the 5 loops about 17.5 miles.  I did this, but near the end of the run my right knee really started to hurt.  The pain did not go away with ice or rest in the following few days, so I made an appointment for some chiropractic and ART (Active release Therapy) work.  The ART was good, but as usual the chiropractor worked his magic and within a few days the pain was receding. 

During my long runs I was really able to dial in my use of VESPA and race nutrition, to the point where I would take 1 VESPA JR 45 min before the run and another at the 2 hour mark, and only take 1 or 2 gels for the entire run.  I feel as ready for this 50K as I can with the fact that I could not descend stairs a few days before.  Stay tuned for a post related to my diet, VESPA, and some of the things I changed to include more fat and eliminate carbs, to increase my fat burning efficiency, to enhance race day performance and recovery!  Also for the race report from The North Face Endurance Challenge 50K.

TOTALS

Run     182.9 miles      27:14:01 hours
Swim   11 miles
Bike     77 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment